Split Pea Soup a la Q
This is a vegan/vegetarian version of a classic! It’s perfect for a rainy day, and is regularly requested at The House of Q.
- 3 cups rinsed split peas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- I medium carrot, grated
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 2 tbs olive oil (vegan) or butter (vegetarian)
- Salt, Pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp. Cinnamon
- Heat the oil or butter and saute the onion and carrot until they become soft.
- Add the split peas, and then the broth.
- Season lightly with S&P and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let cook until the peas become mushy. Keep an eye on the soup as it cooks (1 hour or so) to make sure it doesn’t get too thick and stick to the pot. Continue to add water as it cooks, and vary the water depending on how thick you like your split pea soup.
- Taste and add more S&P to your liking.
That’s it. It’s super simple and the kids love it. I serve it with a hearty bread & butter.